How to Jump-Start a Car with Cables
Every driver in Raleigh should have an emergency kit in their car, including jump-start car battery cables. However, a jump-start car service kit can only do so much for you if you don’t know how to use it. So, the Hendrick Kia of Cary service center has created this quick guide on how to jump-start a car! If you ever find yourself with a dead battery in Durham, there’ll be no need to panic because you’ll know just what you need to do.
Is There a Proper Way to Jump-Start a Car?
Yes, there is a proper way to jump-start a car and it’s important that you follow the steps exactly, otherwise, you risk hurting yourself or damaging your car. Here’s how to properly jump-start a car:
- Park the car with the charged battery so that it’s facing the car with the dead battery, then turn it off. Ensure both cars have their parking brakes engaged.
- Open the cars’ hoods and locate the batteries. The battery terminals may be hidden under a plastic hood for protection, so remove the hood if necessary.
- Make sure you understand where the positive and negative terminals are located and that they don’t have any corrosion.
- Grab your red cable to get started. Connect the first red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the charged battery.
- Now grab the black cable. Connect the first black clamp to the negative post of the charged battery.
- Lastly, connect the other black clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the frame of the car with the dead battery.
- With the cables hooked up in the right order, start the engine of the car with the charged battery. Next, try to start the engine on the car that had the dead battery.
- After you jump-start the car battery, you can remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of how you connected them. You can also turn off the car that was used to jump-start your car battery.
- Leave your engine running for at least 10 minutes to be sure the battery can hold a charge. Check your owner’s manual as well, as it may recommend running the engine longer than 10 minutes after a jump-start.
Kia Roadside Assistance – Jump-Start Car Service
Each new Kia comes with a generous roadside assistance plan for five years or 60,000 miles. If your Kia is still covered and you’d like to get professional jump-start car service to your rescue, just call the Kia roadside assistance number at 1-800-333-4KIA. Kia provides 24/7 service and will meet you where you’re at to jump-start your car battery.
Car Won’t Jump-Start?
If you try to jump-start your car battery but the car won’t jump-start, you might need a new battery entirely. Car batteries usually need to be replaced after four to five years, so if it’s been that long, it’s likely the reason why your car won’t jump-start. If your battery is relatively new but won’t jump-start, there may be a more serious issue.
- If there’s nothing more than a clicking noise when you try to jump-start your car battery, it could be because your starter isn’t functioning properly.
- If the electrical systems come back but the engine won’t turn over, there could be a number of culprits to blame, including the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a bad fuse.
- Did you remember to leave your vehicle running after the jump? This allows the battery to recharge after being replete.
Whether you need a new battery or you suspect there’s an underlying issue with your car, it’s important to schedule service as soon as possible so the problem doesn’t worsen over time.
Save On Battery Service at Hendrick Kia of Cary
When you need trusted battery service near Apex, you can count on the service center at Hendrick Kia of Cary. We provide ongoing service offers to help you save, as well as service financing options for the bigger jobs. Have questions for our service experts? Contact us at your convenience to start a conversation.
More from Hendrick Kia of Cary
Are you searching for a fuel-efficient new sedan that can help you spend more time exploring Raleigh and less time at the pump? The new Kia Forte should be at the top of your list! The 2022 Kia Forte mpg reaches an EPA-estimated 31 mpg city/41 mpg highway in the FE trim with an Intelligent…
A new Kia Forte will make a bold addition to your driveway in Raleigh, thanks to an exciting range of colors! The approachable price of the 2022 Kia Forte and the contemporary lineup of Forte colors will help you upgrade to a stylish sedan that keeps up with the current auto trends without straining your…
What’s in store for you inside the newly redesigned 2023 Kia Sportage? The all-new Sportage is hitting the streets of Raleigh with an upgraded suite of interior technologies and more cargo space than previous years thanks to a wider wheelbase and an extra 7.1 inches of length. Despite these attractive upgrades, an affordable price range…